Section A of an EHCP is to gain the views, interests and aspirations of the child or young person and their parents. This is to be completed by the parent/carer along with the child/young person. This section of an EHCP gives the child/young person’s story. This information sheet is also about using your child or young persons views for an appeal for example.
You will be asked to fill out the following sections:
Please note that these answers are just examples, there is no right or wrong answer.
What people like about me and what I like about myself:
- What do friends and family say about you?
- What do you like about yourself?
- Try to use positive comments.
What is important to me:
- Who is important to me (family, friends, pets etc) you can also explain why they are important
- Things that working well at home and school
- Thing that I enjoy doing
- Is there a particular toy/comforter that you cannot be without
- How do people support me
- What are my communication needs
How best to support me:
- e.g.Give me lots of praise and encouragement
- If I get upset I need quiet time to calm down
- How to communicate with me
An aspiration is a hope or ambition of achieving something
Child/young person’s aspirations:
Give details on what the child’s aspirations are for the future, what would they like to be when they grow up, do they have a career in mind.
Families aspirations for child/young person:
What are your aspirations for your child? Is there something particular you would like to see them doing or achieve?
During an appeal it may be necessary to share your child’s views. This maybe on which School they would like to attend or where they would like to go to School.
You could ask them to draw a picture or you could have a list of questions to ask them and record it – then write up their answers later. You could even video or record them talking.
Questions may include:
- How do you feel about your School at the moment? / How do you feel about your School?
- Where would you like to attend in the future?
- Do you have any thoughts about where you would like to attend?
- What would make you happy at School?
- What do you like about School / What do you dislike about School?
- Do you have friends at School?
- How would you feel about getting into a taxi to get to School?
- I take you to School at the moment, how would you feel about getting a bus or taxi to School?
- What would you like to me when you are older?