I am worried that my child is having difficulties or not making progress with their learning… what can I do?

The first step is to talk to your child’s school, college or early years setting. This can be the class teacher, the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), a tutor or sometimes the head teacher.  If your child is in an early years setting this is usually the manager or key person.  Working together in this way will often help and extra or different help may be provided for your child.

This extra or different help could be a different way of teaching your child or some help from an extra adult, perhaps in a small group or use of special equipment like a computer or a desk with a sloping top. Your child’s progress with this extra help will be reviewed regularly and changes made if needed.  This is called ‘SEN Support’ (see our Information on this).

Your child may need help for only a short time or for some years and in some cases it may be for the whole of their education.   If your child is still having difficulties despite the help being provided, the school, college or early years setting may bring in more specialist expertise.

You could also look on the school’s website and read their SEN Information.

EHC Needs Assessment

If your child still does not seem to be making enough progress or needs a lot more extra help, your child’s school, college, early years setting can ask the Local Authority to carry out a more detailed assessment to find out more about their special educational needs and/or disability (SEND) and what special help they need.  You can also do this.  This is called a statutory assessment or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment (see our Information on this).